Re: Move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace *without* turning on system_table_mods. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bruce Momjian
Subject Re: Move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace *without* turning on system_table_mods.
Date
Re: Move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace *without* turning on system_table_mods.  ("David G. Johnston" <david.g.johnston@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Oct 18, 2016 at 04:51:54PM +0200, Andreas Joseph Krogh wrote:
>     > 2. Being able to move pg_largeobject to a different tablespace
>     >    *without* turning on system_table_mods. This is important for
>     >    people storing LOTS of large-objects on separate
>     >    disks (non-SSD) and hence in a different tablespace.
>     > Anyone willing to discuss this?
>     >
>     This was proposed a few years ago but no one cared to draft a patch.
>

> So that why I'm re-raising the issue:-)
> Having "everything in the database" adds lots of benefits, conceptually
> (follows tx-semantics, consistent backups etc.), however it's currently not so
> easy in practice.

Yeah, rereading that old thread was interesting, and unfortunate that no
one mentioned the system catalog change would break pg_upgrade, though
pg_upgrade was not popular at the time that thread was started.

I think an open question is why you would not want to move the other
system tables at the same time you move pg_largeobject.

http://enterprisedb.com