Re: Problem upgrading from 10 to 14 with pg_upgrade: unexpected error upgrading "template1" database for some clusters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ken Yeung
Subject Re: Problem upgrading from 10 to 14 with pg_upgrade: unexpected error upgrading "template1" database for some clusters
Date
In response to Re: Problem upgrading from 10 to 14 with pg_upgrade: unexpected error upgrading "template1" database for some clusters  (Thomas Boussekey <thomas.boussekey@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

From: Thomas Boussekey <thomas.boussekey@gmail.com>
Sent: Tuesday, July 12, 2022 3:39 AM
> Hi,

> > Le lun. 11 juil. 2022 à 21:22, Ken Yeung <Ken.Yeung@rib-software.com> a écrit :
> > In the course of upgrading a bunch of database clusters from 10 to 14 using pg_upgrade tool, some databases result
inthe following error recorded in pg_upgrade_dump_1.log, such that cluster upgrade fails.
> > FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "postgres"
> This error happens on the restoration-side (Pg14)

> pg_restore: error: connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 50432 failed: FATAL:  password authentication
failedfor user "postgres"

> means that you try to use ipv6 (is it possible, according to your target postgresql.conf file?)
> Does your Pg14 target pg_hba.conf file allow this kind of connection?

Although we have some different settings in pg_hba.conf in different clusters, but both at least allows local
connectionto ::1.

Specific to each cluster, there are some other databases upgraded/restored in the same cluster without this problem,
butonly "template1" reported this error.  I attached some another log file recorded.
There may be a possibility some tables were created in the cluster with older pg_hba.conf settings, and then
pg_hba.confchanged afterwards.  Would this situation possibly caused the reported error?

Best regards,
Ken
Attachment