Re: Problem upgrading from 10 to 14 with pg_upgrade: unexpected error upgrading "template1" database for some clusters - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Boussekey
Subject Re: Problem upgrading from 10 to 14 with pg_upgrade: unexpected error upgrading "template1" database for some clusters
Date
In response to Problem upgrading from 10 to 14 with pg_upgrade: unexpected error upgrading "template1" database for some clusters  (Ken Yeung <Ken.Yeung@rib-software.com>)
Responses Re: Problem upgrading from 10 to 14 with pg_upgrade: unexpected error upgrading "template1" database for some clusters  (Ken Yeung <Ken.Yeung@rib-software.com>)
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Le lun. 11 juil. 2022 à 21:22, Ken Yeung <Ken.Yeung@rib-software.com> a écrit :
In the course of upgrading a bunch of database clusters from 10 to 14 using pg_upgrade tool, some databases result in the following error recorded in pg_upgrade_dump_1.log, such that cluster upgrade fails.
FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "postgres"
This error happens on the restoration-side (Pg14)

pg_restore: error: connection to server at "localhost" (::1), port 50432 failed: FATAL:  password authentication failed for user "postgres"

means that you try to use ipv6 (is it possible, according to your target postgresql.conf file?)
Does your Pg14 target pg_hba.conf file allow this kind of connection?

Last year, I had to migrate 200+ PostgreSQL instance from Pg9.5 to Pg12, I discovered some configuration differences while performing this kind of pre-upgrade tests.

This was done on Microsoft Windows 11.
PostgreSQL 10 and 14 used are built using Visual Studio 2015.
Only a small number of database clusters has this problem, around 2 of 200.
It appears these database are used from earlier cluster upgrade from 9.4 to 10 as well.

It would be very helpful if there is any possible workaround to overcome this problem.

I attached a sample pg_upgrade_dump_1.log reported this error.

Hope it helps,
Thomas