RE: Disable WAL logging to speed up data loading - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com
Subject RE: Disable WAL logging to speed up data loading
Date
Re: Disable WAL logging to speed up data loading  (Masahiko Sawada <sawada.mshk@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
From: Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>
> Were the issues that I mentioned regarding GIST (and maybe other AMs)
> in the last paragraph of
> http://postgr.es/m/CA+TgmoZEZ5RONS49C7mEpjhjndqMQtVrz_LCQUkpRW
> dmRevDnQ@mail.gmail.com
> addressed in some way? That seems like a pretty hard engineering
> problem to me, and I don't see that there's been any discussion of it.
> Those are correctness concerns separate from any wal_level tracking we
> might want to do to avoid accidental mistakes.

Thank you very much for reminding me of this.  I forgot I replied as follows:

Unlogged GiST indexes use fake LSNs that are instance-wide.  Unlogged temporary GiST indexes use backend-local sequence
values. Other unlogged and temporary relations don't set LSNs on pages.  So, I think it's enough to call
GetFakeLSNForUnloggedRel()when wal_level = none as well.

But this is not correct.  We have to allow (RM_GIST_ID, XLOG_GIST_ASSIGN_LSN) WAL records to be emitted (by tweaking
thefilter in XLogInsert()), just like those WAL records are emitted when wal_level = minimal and and other WAL records
arenot emitted.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa