RE: libpq debug log - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From tsunakawa.takay@fujitsu.com
Subject RE: libpq debug log
Date
List pgsql-hackers
From: 'alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org' <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org>
> Okay, pushed this patch and the new testing for it based on
> libpq_pipeline.  We'll see how the buildfarm likes it.

Thank you very much!  I appreciate you taking your valuable time while I imagine you must be pretty busy with taking
careof other (possibly more important) patches.

TBH, when Tom-san suggested drastic change, I was afraid we may not be able to complete this in PG 14.  But in the end,
I'mvery happy that the patch has become much leaner and cleaner.

And congratulations on your first commit, Iwata-san!  I hope you can have time and energy to try adding a connection
parameterto enable tracing, which eliminates application modification.

> I didn't like the idea of silently skipping the redacted fields, so I
> changed the code to print NNNN or SSSS instead.  I also made the
> redacting occur in the last mile (pqTraceOutputInt32 / String) rather
> that in their callers: it seemed quite odd to advance the cursor in the
> "else" branch.
>
> I refactored the duplicate code that appeared for Notice and Error.
> In that function, we redact not only the 'L' field (what Iwata-san was
> doing) but also 'F' (file) and 'R' (routine) because those things can
> move around for reasons that are not interesting to testing this code.
>
> In the libpq_pipeline commit I added 'pipeline_abort' and 'transaction'
> to the cases that generate traces, which adds coverage for
> NoticeResponse and ErrorResponse.

These make sense to me.  Thank you for repeatedly polishing and making the patch better much.

Regards
Takayuki Tsunakawa