dumping only table definitions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Kevin Brannen
Subject dumping only table definitions
Date
Re: dumping only table definitions  (Melvin Davidson <melvin6925@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general

I’m trying to figure out how to dump only the table definitions, well those and things they need directly, like sequences & types. What I do NOT want are all the millions (not literally but it feels like it J) of functions we have. Triggers would be all right if I must, as we only have a few of those.

I’ve tried various combinations of args to pg_dump, with -s being what I’d like to work, but I still get all the functions.

I suppose I could filter it with Perl or Awk, but that could be tricky. In fact, the best my searching could find is to do:

     pg_dump -s databasename | awk 'RS="";/CREATE TABLE[^;]*;/'

which fails in some interesting ways.

I could dump the schema (with functions) then load it into another DB then programmatically drop all the functions before dumping that with pg_dump, but again why should I have to.

Is there any Pg tool that gives me just the table defs or am I going to have to write my own?

Thanks,

Kevin

This e-mail transmission, and any documents, files or previous e-mail messages attached to it, may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, or a person responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure, distribution, review, copy or use of any of the information contained in or attached to this message is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately notify us by reply e-mail, and destroy the original transmission and its attachments without reading them or saving them to disk. Thank you.