Re: [HACKERS] How do I construct a varlena? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Maarten Boekhold
Subject Re: [HACKERS] How do I construct a varlena?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 4 Aug 1998, Oliver Elphick wrote:

> Can you tell me, please, how to construct a varlena (to be returned by
> a function).
>
> I see it is declared as an int and a 1-byte array; I don't know how to
> assign a longer string in place of that 1-byte array; the compiler
> complains about incompatible types, whatever I do.

If I'm correct:

    malloc(sizeof(VARLENA) + l);

where 'l' is the length of the string you want to put in (without the
trailing '\0').

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |