How do I construct a varlena? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Oliver Elphick
Subject How do I construct a varlena?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Can you tell me, please, how to construct a varlena (to be returned by
a function).

I see it is declared as an int and a 1-byte array; I don't know how to
assign a longer string in place of that 1-byte array; the compiler
complains about incompatible types, whatever I do.

Thank you.

     "And not only so, but we glory in tribulations also;
      knowing that tribulation worketh patience; And
      patience, experience; and experience, hope."
                                        Romans 5:3,4