Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for async support in libpq - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Maarten Boekhold
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for async support in libpq
Date
Re: [HACKERS] Proposal for async support in libpq
List pgsql-hackers
> In backend/libpq/pqcomm.c, I see pg_sendoob() which sends out-of-band
> data FROM the backend TO the client, but it is not called from anywhere.
>
> This could be a method of signaling that a notification was pending, and
> sending out-of-band data FROm the client TO the backend could be used
> for cancelling a query.
>
> out-of-band data causes a convenient signal to the process on the other
> end, which can easily be used to handle these cases.

Wasn't the problem with OOB data that java doesn't support this? I
remember that OOB data has come up before on this list a long time ago,
and that at that time some java bloke (peter?) started to complain :)

Maarten

| TU Delft, The Netherlands, Faculty of Information Technology and Systems  |
|                   Department of Electrical Engineering                    |
|           Computer Architecture and Digital Technique section             |
|                          M.Boekhold@et.tudelft.nl                         |