Re: Page at a time index scan - Mailing list pgsql-patches

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: Page at a time index scan
Date
List pgsql-patches
On Tue, 2 May 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

> Also, as noted in other contexts, it'd be a good idea if vacuumcleanup
> was told the total number of heap tuples (GIN needs this), and both
> steps really ought to be able to find out if it's a full or lazy vacuum.

It's already in IndexVacuumCleanupInfo, isn't it?

/* Struct for additional arguments passed to vacuum-cleanup operation */
typedef struct IndexVacuumCleanupInfo
{
   bool     vacuum_full;     /* VACUUM FULL (we have exclusive lock) */
   int     message_level;   /* ereport level for progress messages */
-->  double num_heap_tuples; /* tuples remaining in heap */
} IndexVacuumCleanupInfo;

gistvacuumcleanup uses num_heap_tuples to set num_index_tuples
when it doesn't need to scan the index otherwise.

BTW: Is it possible to have a partial gist index? If it is,
num_index_tuples = num_heap_tuples isn't right.

- Heikki