Re: Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I disagree.  Choosing the compiler options is exactly the job of the
> installer, packager, or distributor.

If there is one, yes.

> I don't think we're doing anyone a service if we spread wild speculations
> about how risky certain compiler options are.  If your compiler creates
> broken code, don't use it.  Packagers are expected to know about their
> compiler.  If they create broken packages and behave irresponsibly about
> it they won't be making packages much longer.

However, many users are not as knowledgable as packagers, but may
still be compiling from source. For those people, I don't think it's
unreasonable to say, "Use -O2 unless you know what you are doing."

(I'm not sure we're actually disagreeing here, but I just wanted to make
this point clear.)

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're