Re: Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Optimization levels when compiling PostgreSQL...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Neil Conway writes:

> Also, if -O3 *is* a good compiler option, I dislike the idea of
> enabling it for your own packages but no one else's. IMHO distributors
> should not futz with packages more than is strictely necessary, and a
> change like this seems both unwarranted, and potentially dangerous. If
> -O3 is a good idea, we should make the change for the appropriate
> platforms in the official source, and let it get the widespread
> testing it requires.

I disagree.  Choosing the compiler options is exactly the job of the
installer, packager, or distributor.  That's why you can specify CFLAGS on
the command line after all, and most distributors' build environments make
use of that.

I don't think we're doing anyone a service if we spread wild speculations
about how risky certain compiler options are.  If your compiler creates
broken code, don't use it.  Packagers are expected to know about their
compiler.  If they create broken packages and behave irresponsibly about
it they won't be making packages much longer.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net