Re: SQL server application porting headache - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: SQL server application porting headache
Date
List pgsql-general
[Repost due to bounce...someone playing with the mailing list server?]

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Oskar Berggren wrote:

> Thanks for your research! I appreciate it. Now at least I know why it
> is like it is. Perhaps this is sufficient argument to get them to
> correct their queries.

Well, my research may be indicating that they are doing their queries
this "stupid" way for a very good reason: they can't do them the correct
way. (Well, they could probably use [] instead of "" in the WHERE
clause, but that's hardly compatable with postgres!)

The correct solution is probably not to use mixed-case (or any-case)
table names, so that no quoting is necessary. And I have a funny feeling
I know what your developers are going to say when you ask them to change
all of their table names....

BTW, I've asked the Windows admin at my company if we don't happen to
have a copy of SQL Server kicking around, and maybe a server we could
install it on. If that is the case, I'll have no problem doing more
playing like this. If not, it's a bit tough, since I lose all access to
e-mail and everything when I boot up windows on my machine.

cjs