Re: Bidirectional hard joins (fwd) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Curt Sampson
Subject Re: Bidirectional hard joins (fwd)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
While I like the optimisation, the SQL syntax seems pretty horrible.
Could it not be done without changing the syntax at all, except to
change slightly how one defines a column? Given something like
CREATE TABLE item_name (    item_id        INT PRIMARY KEY,    item_name    VARCHAR(255)    )CREATE TABLE item_set (
item_set_id   INT PRIMARY KEY,    item_id        INT REFERENCES item_name (item_id)        ON UPDATE CASCADE ON DELETE
CASCADE   )

it seems to me that it would be possible for the database to
transparently implement this using the optimisation described.
Given that, maybe one could just add another keyword to the REFERENCES
statement that would actually do the reference with a "pointer"?

cjs
--
Curt Sampson  <cjs@cynic.net>   +81 90 7737 2974   http://www.netbsd.org   Don't you know, in this new Dark Age, we're
alllight.  --XTC