Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bill Studenmund
Subject Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 24 Jan 2002, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I think we could set the database default at db creation time, then
> allow SET to modify that default per session;  seems flexible enough.
> It is basically a GUC value who's default is stored in pg_database
> rather than postgresql.conf.   You could use postgresql.conf to set the
> default schema type at db creation time.

Specifically to the question of schema pathing, why would you want it to
be session-settable? Either your DB app is designed to work w/ schemas, or
it isn't. That's a pretty fundamental design concept. Given that, I don't
see how it can make sense to try to operate in the opposite mode as the
app was designed for - that'll only lead to chaos.

Take care,

Bill