Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: RFD: schemas and different kinds of Postgres objects
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@netbsd.org> writes:
> Specifically to the question of schema pathing, why would you want it to
> be session-settable? Either your DB app is designed to work w/ schemas, or
> it isn't.

So that you can set the correct mode for your client application.  It is
silly to suppose that an installation-wide or even database-wide setting
is sufficient.  Consider for example a database shared by multiple
pieces of client software; wouldn't you like to be able to upgrade them
to schema-awareness one at a time?

You could possibly make a case for a single setting per user, but even
that makes an assumption (user == client software) that I think is not
reasonable for us to force on all Postgres installations.

Basically I haven't got a lot of patience for arguments that say we do
not need flexibility.  There are more people out there, using Postgres
in more different ways, than either you or I know about.