Re: Detecting readline in configure - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Bill Studenmund
Subject Re: Detecting readline in configure
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 21 May 2001, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> Tom Lane writes:
>
> >     checking for libreadline ... no
> >     checking for libedit ... no
> >     *
> >     * NOTICE: I couldn't find libreadline nor libedit.  You will
> >     * not have history support in psql.
> >     *
>
> This may be useful as well, but it doesn't help those doing unattended
> builds, such as RPMs and *BSD ports.  In that case you need to abort to
> notify the user that things didn't go the way the package maker had
> planned.

*BSD ports/packages shouldn't have much of a problem. They can encode
dependencies, both in the binary package and in the build-from-source
process. So if the package maker did things right, the packaging system
would have either squalked, or tried to install libreadline before running
configure.

Take care,

Bill