mnogosearch -- pgsql seem so slow, please help me find out why - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas T. Thai
Subject mnogosearch -- pgsql seem so slow, please help me find out why
Date
List pgsql-general
pgsql 7.1-current, mnogosearch-3.1.8, netbsd/alpha-1.5.1-current, dec
alpha 500, 1G ram, uw-scsi

i'm trying to find out why postgres is the bottle neck in my searches with
mnogosearch. i've tried both the search.c and php version of search and
they both took up to 50 seconds for a one word search. this is with the
system sitting pretty much idle.

'select * from url' from psql monitor took 59 seconds.

mnwork=# explain select * from url;
NOTICE:  QUERY PLAN:

Seq Scan on url  (cost=0.00..14473.56 rows=99256 width=144)

EXPLAIN

here is my url table:

mnwork=# \d url
                                       Table "url"
    Attribute    |          Type          |                   Modifier
-----------------+------------------------+-----------------------------------------------
 rec_id          | integer                | not null default
nextval('next_url_id'::text)
 status          | integer                | not null default 0
 url             | character varying(128) | not null
 content_type    | character varying(48)  | not null default ''
 title           | character varying(128) | not null default ''
 txt             | character varying(255) | not null default ''
 docsize         | integer                | not null default 0
 last_index_time | integer                | not null
 next_index_time | integer                | not null
 last_mod_time   | integer                |
 referrer        | integer                | not null default 0
 tag             | character varying(10)  | not null default ''
 hops            | integer                | not null default 0
 category        | character varying(10)  | not null default ''
 keywords        | character varying(255) | not null default ''
 description     | character varying(100) | not null default ''
 crc32           | integer                | not null default 0
 lang            | character varying(2)   | not null default ' '
Indices: url_crc,
         url_pkey,
         url_url

i just can't tolerate this kind of results for searching. any suggestions
to overcome this would be appreciated. tia.