Re: [HACKERS] still getting FATAL errors on btree's... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] still getting FATAL errors on btree's...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 13 Apr 1998, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> > I'm still getting the following BTP_CHAIN errors on my btree index.  Funny
> > thing is that its the *same* index each time, and this is after dropping
> > and rebulding it...
> >
> > ...where next to investigate?  Recommendations?  IMHO, this is critical
> > enough to hold off a v6.3.2 release :(
>
> Obiously there is something strange going on, or many more people would
> be seeing it.  The question is what.
>
> Could it be the data?  Concentrate on that table, load only half, and
> see if it happens.  Try loading first half of the file twice, to the
> file is the same size, but the data is only from the first half.  Try it
> with the second half too.  Does the problem change.  If so, there is
> something in the data that is causing the problem.

    Well, I kinda figured it had something to do with the data, but
narrowing it down (500+k records) is something that isn't that easy :(

    I know its the radhist_userid index, which is indexed on one
field, userid...if there was some way of translating location in the index
with a record number...?

    Oh well...will continue to investigate and use your ideas...