Re: [HACKERS] Developer setup, what works? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Developer setup, what works?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Sun, 5 Apr 1998, David Gould wrote:

> Marc G. Fournier has a great idea:
> >     I don't know if anyone has tried this yet, and I've only just
> > barely tried it here...
> >
> >     If you take the README.cvsup file that is found at
> > ftp.postgresql.org:/pub/CVSup and comment out the line that states
> > '*default tag=.', it will pull down the actual RCS files.
> >
> >     So, for instance, if you were to setup a CVS repository on your
> > machine and, using the above, pull the RCS files into $CVSROOT (and
> > created an appropriate $CVSROOT/CVSROOT directory), you could grab the
> > current source tree easily, and then checkout (and update) a local source
> > tree)...
> >
> >     Then you'd just have to send in patches periodically, while
> > keeping your local source tree in sync with the master...
>
> This sounds like exactly what I was looking for. So I am still a little hazy
> on the interaction between CVS and cvsup so perhaps you could spell this
> out a bit:
>
> Suppose I want to work in ~/pgsql and refer to the module as pgsql. And I want
> to store all my CVS trees under /local1/cvsroot. If I have understood you
> I need to do
>
> export CVSROOT=/local0/cvsroot
> cvs init $CVSROOT

    Neat, I don't believe I used this when I created mine...:(

> mkdir $CVSROOT/CVSROOT            # is this right? why?

    From what I just scanned through in the info pages, isn't this
what cvs init is supposed to do?

> cat >$CVSROOT/modules

    Same as above...

> pgsql ??? what goes here ???

    I don't recall what platform you are running on, but as long as
you have cvsup available, use the attached 'README.cvsup' (cvsup -L 1 -g
README.cvsup) to pull down the CVS repository and deposit it into your
$CVSROOT directory...

    Run that out of cron, once a night, or once a week (base it on the
commit messages going through)...never commit your changes to your cvs
repository, except just before you are ready to make a patch, as the next
CVSup you do will overwrite your changes, but you can do checkouts and
updates as appropriate...

> I am embarrassed to keep asking about this, I really do know about databases,
> but I have never used CVS and cvsup so all help is appreciated.

    That's okay...I'm embarressed that I don't remember how to do
this, after doing it so many times lately :(

# This file represents the standard CVSup distribution file
# for the PostgreSQL ORDBMS project
#
# Defaults that apply to all the collections
*default host=postgresql.org
*default compress
*default release=cvs
*default delete use-rel-suffix
#*default tag=.

# base directory points to where CVSup will store its 'bookmarks' file(s)
*default base=/local0/cvsroot

# prefix directory points to where CVSup will store the actual distribution(s)
*default prefix=/local0/cvsroot

# complete distribution, including all below
pgsql