pg_user permissions problem (Was: Re: [HACKERS] RE: New ecgp code problem.) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From The Hermit Hacker
Subject pg_user permissions problem (Was: Re: [HACKERS] RE: New ecgp code problem.)
Date
Re: pg_user permissions problem (Was: Re: [HACKERS] RE: New ecgp code problem.)  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 19 Feb 1998, Meskes, Michael wrote:

> Do you mean you didn't get any output? Or you got just the numbers? If
> you didn't get anything that's the old problem and I believe the same
> problem holds for ODBC (Julie?). The first fetch returns no row, so the
> program ends. Unfortunately I haven't changed anything I expect to be
> able to cause that problem. It seems to be a backend/library problem.

    I spent time with Julie last night working on this, and the
problem comes back down to "pg_user: Permission Denied"...

    I think this is a high priority problem, since it affects so many
things.

    What is the chance of (how hard would it be to?) having a hard
coded view setup that overrides the permissions lock on pg_user?  At what
point is the lock implemented, software level, or file system?

    All we would really need was:

    create view all_users as select usename,usesysid from pg_user;

    Which psql/odbc/ecgp/jdbc could call instead of what its doing
now...