Re: Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Re: Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt
Date
List pgsql-general
On Wed, 18 Jun 2008, Klint Gore wrote:

> You copied the files without stopping the database?  move 4 to 2.

Klint,

   Yes, actually. There was no activity on any of the databases.

> Is there an initdb in here somewhere?  Or is the 8.3 server trying to start
> with an 8.1 file structure?

   Ah, yes. I missed stating that. I switched to user postgres and ran:

postgres@salmo:/var/lib/pgsql$ initdb -D ./data/
The files belonging to this database system will be owned by user
"postgres".

The database cluster will be initialized with locales
   COLLATE:  C
   CTYPE:    en_US
   MESSAGES: en_US
   MONETARY: en_US
   NUMERIC:  en_US
   TIME:     en_US
could not determine encoding for locale "en_US": codeset is "ANSI_X3.4-1968"
initdb: could not find suitable encoding for locale en_US
Rerun initdb with the -E option.
Try "initdb --help" for more information.

   But, using the -E option with en_US tells me that it's not a valid locale.

Thanks,

Rich