Re: Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Klint Gore
Subject Re: Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt
Date
Re: Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt  (Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com>)
Re: Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt  (Craig Ringer <craig@postnewspapers.com.au>)
List pgsql-general
Rich Shepard wrote:
>    Despite trying to be careful, I managed to mess up the upgrade from -8.1.4
> to -8.3.3 on my Slackware-11.0 server/workstation. I expect that someone
> here will see my error and point me in the right direction to recover a
> working dbms.
>
>    Here's what I did:
>
>    1.) As a user, I ran pg_dumpall on version 8.1.4 and had that written to
> /usr4/postgres-backups/.
>
>    2.) Created /usr4/pgsql_old/, and copied all of /var/lib/pgsql/ there ('cp
> -a /var/lib/pgsql/* .')
>
>    3.) In /usr4/pgsql_old/data/postgresql.conf, changed port to 5466.
>
>    4.) As root, ran '/etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql stop', which reported that's
> what it did.

You copied the files without stopping the database?  move 4 to 2.

>    5.) Built postgresql-8.3.3 using the SlackBuild script, then ran
> 'upgradepkg postgresql-8.3.3*tgz'; other than reporting not finding an
> expected pid file, that went smoothly.

Is there an initdb in here somewhere?  Or is the 8.3 server trying to
start with an 8.1 file structure?

>    6.) Tried starting the new version, /etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql start. It
> reported that the server was already running, but that it started anyway.

klint.

--
Klint Gore
Database Manager