Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Need Help Recovering from Botched Upgrade Attempt
Date
List pgsql-general
   Despite trying to be careful, I managed to mess up the upgrade from -8.1.4
to -8.3.3 on my Slackware-11.0 server/workstation. I expect that someone
here will see my error and point me in the right direction to recover a
working dbms.

   Here's what I did:

   1.) As a user, I ran pg_dumpall on version 8.1.4 and had that written to
/usr4/postgres-backups/.

   2.) Created /usr4/pgsql_old/, and copied all of /var/lib/pgsql/ there ('cp
-a /var/lib/pgsql/* .')

   3.) In /usr4/pgsql_old/data/postgresql.conf, changed port to 5466.

   4.) As root, ran '/etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql stop', which reported that's
what it did.

   5.) Built postgresql-8.3.3 using the SlackBuild script, then ran
'upgradepkg postgresql-8.3.3*tgz'; other than reporting not finding an
expected pid file, that went smoothly.

   6.) Tried starting the new version, /etc/rc.d/rc.postgresql start. It
reported that the server was already running, but that it started anyway.

   7.) A search of the process list could not find the postmaster process, or
any other indication of pgsql running. Trying to run pgsql as a user also
failed. Tried, as user postgres, to run 'pg_sql start' but that also failed.

TIA,

Rich