Re: Best OS for Postgres 8.2 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From david@lang.hm
Subject Re: Best OS for Postgres 8.2
Date
List pgsql-performance
On Tue, 8 May 2007, Trygve Laugstøl wrote:

>>  currently ZFS is only available on Solaris, parts of it have been released
>>  under GPLv2, but it doesn't look like enough of it to be ported to Linux
>>  (enough was released for grub to be able to access it read-only, but not
>>  the full filesystem). there are also patent concerns that are preventing
>>  any porting to Linux.
>
> This is not entirely correct. ZFS is only under the CDDL license and it has
> been ported to FreeBSD.
>
> http://mail.opensolaris.org/pipermail/zfs-discuss/2007-April/026922.html

I wonder how they handled the license issues? I thought that if you
combined stuff that was BSD licensed with stuff with a more restrictive
license the result was under the more restrictive license. thanks for the
info.

here's a link about the GPLv2 stuff for zfs

http://blogs.sun.com/darren/entry/zfs_under_gplv2_already_exists