Re: postgresql performance tuning - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Ameet Kini
Subject Re: postgresql performance tuning
Date
Re: postgresql performance tuning  (Vivek Khera <vivek@khera.org>)
slow COMMITs  (Evgeny Gridasov <eugrid@fpm.kubsu.ru>)
List pgsql-performance

> what evidence do you have that you are suffering index bloat?  or are
> you just looking for solutions to problems that don't exist as an
> academic exercise? :-)

Well, firstly, its not an academic exercise - Its very much of a real
problem that needs a real solution :)

I'm running postgresql v8.0 and my problem is that running vacuum on my
indices are blazing fast (upto 10x faster) AFTER running reindex. For a
table with only 1 index, the time to do a vacuum (without full) went down
from 45 minutes to under 3 minutes.  Maybe thats not bloat but thats
surely surprising.  And this was after running vacuum periodically.

Ameet

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Ameet