Re: PostgreSQL on XFS experiences? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Holger Marzen
Subject Re: PostgreSQL on XFS experiences?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 26 Feb 2004, Jeffrey W. Baker wrote:

> We are using PostgreSQL with the database and xlogs on (separate) XFS
> volumes under Linux 2.4.25.  We are simply curious to hear your
> experiences with this combination, if you are using it.  In only two
> days of heavy activity, we've already been able to corrupt one
> database.  We've also seen XFS panic because of inconsistent in-memory
> metadata.  Frankly we don't have the highest confidence.

I am afraid that xfs in that kernel or your hardware is buggy (probably
RAM). A 24h run of memtest86 wouldn't be bad.

Since PostgreSQL uses the operating system's calls for file operations
as any other program does, it's most probably no PostgreSQL issue.