Re: sybase->postgresql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ashish Mahabal
Subject Re: sybase->postgresql
Date
List pgsql-general
> Easiest way?   Use perl to pull from Sybase and build a COPY-formatted file.
> Then have perl log into postgres and load the file.   Seems awkward, but it's
> actually *much* faster than other methods.   We do this for a 1GB Sybase
> database for one client on a nightly basis; takes about 40 minutes.

Thanx Josh. My conceptual difficulty was logging into postgres using perl
since for sybase I have been using the specialized sybperl. But I guess
the standard documentation will help me there.

Cheers,
ashish

Ashish Mahabal, Caltech Astronomy, Pasadena, CA 91125
http://www.astro.caltech.edu/~aam aam@astro.caltech.edu

"One geometry cannot be more true than another; it can only be more
convenient. Geometry is not true, it is advantageous."  Robert T. Pirsig