Re: Recomended FS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Childs
Subject Re: Recomended FS
Date
Re: Recomended FS  (Nick Burrett <nick@dsvr.net>)
Re: Recomended FS  ("Arjen van der Meijden" <acmmailing@vulcanus.its.tudelft.nl>)
Re: Recomended FS  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-general

On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:

> A fast HD with a good RAID controller. Subject to budget, SCSI are beter buy
> than IDE. So does hardware SCSI RAID.

    I hate asking this again. But WHY?

    What SCSI gain in spinning at 15000RPM and larger buffers. They
lose in Space, and a slower bus. I would like to see some profe. Sorry.

IDE Hard Disk 40Gb 7200RPM   = 133Mbs = 50UKP
SCSI Hard Disk 36Gb 10000RPM = 160Mbs = 110UKP

    Is that extra 27Mbs worth another IDE Disk. and while you can get
bigger faster SCSI disks prices go through the roof. Its no longer RAID
but RAED (Redundant Array of Expensive Disks)

    My advise not that I've got any proof is that the money is better
spent on a good disk controller and many disks than on each disk.

    In short if you have money to burn then by all means get SCSI but
most people are better of spending

$200 Disk Controller                $200 Disk Controller
$100 40Gb Disks         Than        $200 40Gb Disk

Prices only approx.

Peter Childs