Re: Recomended FS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shridhar Daithankar
Subject Re: Recomended FS
Date
List pgsql-general
Peter Childs wrote:

> On Mon, 20 Oct 2003, Shridhar Daithankar wrote:
>
>>A fast HD with a good RAID controller. Subject to budget, SCSI are beter buy
>>than IDE. So does hardware SCSI RAID.
>>

>     I hate asking this again. But WHY?

OK.. There are only few SCSI disks that I have handled so take it with grain of
salt.

1. SCSI bus can share bandwidth much better than IDE disks. Put two IDE disks on
same channel and two SCSI disks. See which combo performs better.
2. <Unconfirmed> SCSI disks are idividually tested and IDEs are sampled. Makes a
big difference in reliability. I know for some people IDE disks do not crash at
all but majority think SCSI are more reliable than IDEs.
3. SCSI disks have Tag commands and things alike, that makes them better at
handling load.

Technically,  if you don't know the load, SCSI would make a better choice. If
you know your load very well and it is predictive, IDE might be a choice.

I would personally prefer IDE disk array with hardware RAID controller because I
can put it in my home machine, unlike SCSI. But every developer I have asked
around here, says that IDE performance starts dropping once you hit real world load.

  Shridhar