Re: plPHP -- sort of an announcement.. but not commercial - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: plPHP -- sort of an announcement.. but not commercial
Date
Re: plPHP -- sort of an announcement.. but not commercial  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Tom Lane writes:

> (Including PLs in the standard distro strikes me as a good idea, BTW.
> They usually need maintenance along with the core backend code.)

We could also say that keeping some PLs outside the core would keep us
more honest in keeping the interfaces stable.  The only maintenance that
PLs really need to get are global search-and-replace bug fixes and making
use of new server features.

Consider, we already have (at least) Ruby, Sh, R, and Java language
handlers out there, and we're not putting all of these in the core anytime
soon.  The handlers we currently have in the core cover the most popular
languages, but there should be room for serious external development.

Btw., one concern I have about putting this PHP thing in the core is that
it would create a circular build dependency between PostgreSQL and PHP.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net