Re: Monthly table partitioning for fast purges? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ron Johnson
Subject Re: Monthly table partitioning for fast purges?
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 10:28, Jean-Luc Lachance wrote:
> I second that.
> I have discussed adding partitioning tables almost a year ago...
> No need to partition a functional index or anything like that.
> Just partition on a specific field.

Well.....

If you're going to partition a *huge* table by, say, a date field,
and there's also an index on that date field, partitioning the
index on that same field may have some advantages.

> Ron Johnson wrote:
> >[...]
> > Partitioning "should" be put on the TODO list soon after tablespaces
> > (or DBA-defined directories) is implemented.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |