Re: Some macros for error field codes - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: Some macros for error field codes
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane writes:

> > Should we create some user-friendly macros for the error field codes?  I
> > have a feeling that PGXYZ_SQLSTATE may make for better code than just 'C'.
>
> I just pushed the ERRCODE_ macros out into their own file.  How about
> placing that file where client apps can include it directly?

I was actually talking of the single-letter codes that are used on the
protocol layer to tag the different fields of an error or notice result.
That is, instead of
   PQresultErrorField(result, 'M')

I'd rather use something like
   PQresultErrorField(result, PGEF_MESSSAGE_TEXT)

I'm not actually eager to push out the wordy SQLSTATE macros to the
client, although some might argue for that.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net