Re: charset/collation in values - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Dennis Bjorklund
Subject Re: charset/collation in values
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, 2 Nov 2004, Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> For the theoretical specification of a collation, it might suffice to
> know the character repertoire.  But I think in practice, the
> implementation of a collation will require knowing the specific
> character encoding.

The named entity that is called a collation works for a character
repertoire. It would need to handle different charsets for that repertoire
of course. So there would be one collation called say ucs_sv and not
utf8_sv, utf16_sv, utf32_sv.

Anyway, this is not a problem.

--
/Dennis Björklund