Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Training - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Bret Busby
Subject Re: [GENERAL] PostgreSQL Training
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Sat, 13 Dec 2003, Bret Busby wrote:

> > I still think that there is a movement in many businesses to see the
> > role of DBA, sysadmin, etc. as that of a glorified technician rather
> > than a really serious professional.  Certifications are a part of it,
> > but it is a broader pattern.  This is especially true of the market of
> > mid-size businesses.  The larger businesses tend to have the lower ranks
> > manned by glorified techs, while the upper ranks are managed by the more
> > academic types.
> >

> I assume from the content of the above paragraph, that certification is
> regarded as applying to only administartors, be they DBA's or Systems or
> Network Administrators.

Old age is catching up with me. The sixth word in the second line of the
paragraph immediately above, should be "administrators".

> However, certifications such as the MCAD and MCSD, exist, for
> applications and solutions developers, and, there are offered by USA
> universities, across the Internet, certificates in web programming; in
> other words, also, applications developers (of sorts).
>
> The MySQL certifications, from what I understand, the four
> certifications, two existing and two planned, to which I have
> previously alluded, cover both administrators and developers.
>
> To cover both areas, are important, and, no doubt, equally important, so
> that developers, in addition to administrators, can obtain
> certifications that relecvt and afford recongition of, their skills.

It gets worse and worse. In the last line of the paragraph immediately
above, the third word, should be "reflects", and, the sixth word, should
be "recognition".

Apologies for the errors.

--
Bret Busby