Re: Authentication failed for user... - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Oliver Elphick
Subject Re: Authentication failed for user...
Date
List pgsql-novice
On Fri, 2003-12-12 at 05:43, Manu M P wrote:
> Friends
>
>   I created a superuser "user1" and given permissions to create users
> and data bases. I then tried to connect the user to the data base
> "test" using the psql meta command "\c test user1" . The command
> returned the message "IDENT Authentication failed for the user user1".
> Why this happens. How can i eliminate the problem?

User authentication is controlled by the pg_hba.conf file in $PGDATA.
Read the manual chapter on Client Authentication.

Briefly, your system is set to check that users have the same names as
their UNIX login.  You will need to choose a different authentication
method to let you change identity with \c.

     "For thou art my hope, O Lord GOD; thou art my trust
      from my youth."               Psalms 71:5