Re: Cannot create database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From darren@crystalballinc.com
Subject Re: Cannot create database
Date
List pgsql-general
Have you started the database server (postmaster)??

Try in the bin directory looking for pg_ctl bin and issuing pg_ctl start.

This will start the db server (postmaster) then you should be able to
issue the createdb command

HTH
Darren

On 5 Oct 2003, Domagoj Cajic wrote:

> First i want to say that i just subscribed to this mailing list and this
> is my first post. :)
>
> im new to postgresql and i installed it recently on linux redhat 9
> system following the instructions from administrators tutorial.
>
> then i attempted to create "my first database" following the
> instructions from tutorial, but i get this message:
>
> [root@localhost root]# createdb mydb
> psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
>         Is the server running locally and accepting
>         connections on Unix domain socket "/tmp/.s.PGSQL.5432"?
> createdb: database creation failed
>
> can someone help me? whats wrong? i am logged in as root, just started
> learning postgresql...

Darren Ferguson