Cannot create database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Domagoj Cajic
Subject Cannot create database
Re: Cannot create database  (Peter Eisentraut <peter_e@gmx.net>)
Re: Cannot create database  ("scott.marlowe" <scott.marlowe@ihs.com>)
List pgsql-general
First i want to say that i just subscribed to this mailing list and this
is my first post. :)

im new to postgresql and i installed it recently on linux redhat 9
system following the instructions from administrators tutorial.

then i attempted to create "my first database" following the
instructions from tutorial, but i get this message:

[root@localhost root]# createdb mydb
psql: could not connect to server: No such file or directory
createdb: database creation failed

can someone help me? whats wrong? i am logged in as root, just started
learning postgresql...