Re: installing postgres7.3.4 problem - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject Re: installing postgres7.3.4 problem
Date
List pgsql-general
javier garcia - CEBAS writes:

> # su - postgres
> (I don't know the meaning of a "login shell", but this is not my problem)
> And then appears the message (in  spanish):
> "su: atention: we can't change to the directory /var/lib/pgsql: the directory
> or file doesn't exists"
>
> Previously I had postgres databases in /var/lib/pgsql. But I've uninstalled
> the previously the 7.2 version and I don't know why this happens.

Apparently, the home directory of your user "postgres" is set to
/var/lib/pgsql.  So when you login in as that user, it tries to change to
that directory.  When you removed the old PostgreSQL package, the
directory was probably deleted, so now changing the directory fails.

So you have two options now:

1. Recreate the directory /var/lib/pgsql (and use it as your database
directory, if you like).

2. Change the home directory of the user "postgres" (usermod -d
/new/location postgres).  This might light to complications if at some
point you want to reinstall an RPM package for PostgreSQL.

The other option is that you look for an RPM package of the PostgreSQL
version you want for your distribution.

--
Peter Eisentraut   peter_e@gmx.net