Re: Database recovery after fs crash - Mailing list pgsql-general

From J.Henning@t-online.de
Subject Re: Database recovery after fs crash
Date
List pgsql-general
> Hmm, presumably you don't have those.

Unfortunately not. All backup measures I took failed on the exact same
occasion - worst case possible.

> I usually start by browsing files by hand to see if I can determine
> from any embedded text which table it was.

Seems easy enough.

> Then if you create a new database and recreate the table *exactly* the
> same and then copy the datafile over. You might need to create some
> clog files but you *might* be able to recover some data.

How do I do that? I don't know the format of the clog files. The only
information I found was in clog.h and xlog.h.

> It's a bit tricky though. Black magic and all that. Backups are absolutly
> the best way.

Definitely, if only my backup had worked...

  Christian