Re: How can I to solute this problem? - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Achilleus Mantzios
Subject Re: How can I to solute this problem?
Date
List pgsql-sql
You may take a look at jboss connection pool
mechanism. (postgresql.xml).

Also a good way of ensuring that your app will
not leave open stale postgresql connections
is to initially configure your pool to only have a small
number of connections (e.g. 2,3).

If your J2EE components (e.g. jsps) are fast enough
you should start facing connection shortages
only after the load on your machine increases
significantly. (and then safely increase the maximum
number of connections in your configuration (both postgresql wise
and app server (conn pool) wise).

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Paul Thomas wrote:

> On 29/07/2003 07:18 LEON wrote:
> > I use tomcat+linux_postgresql+jsp to develop system.
> >
> > I start postgresql with 1024 processes.
> > FE:
> > postmaster -i -S -N 1024 -B 2048 -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
> >
> > My jsp doesn't implement connection pool.It directly connects postgresql
> > by jdbc.
>
> IME, that is not a good way to do it. Use a connection pool.
>
> > After I run the Ui some times, the UI(jsp) would report "ieSorry,too many
> > clientslg" .The exception is SQLException.
> >
> > I must restart tomcat or postgresql I can continue to running my UI.
>
> My guess would be that you have a bug in your application which is not
> always closing the connection so eventually you exceed max_connections.
> You should always close the connection in a finally{} block so that is
> guaranteed that it will be closed regardless of any earlier exceptions
> which are thrown.
>
> HTH

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer
IT dept
Dynacom Tankers Mngmt
Nikis 4, Glyfada
Athens 16610
Greece
tel:    +30-210-8981112
fax:    +30-210-8981877
email:  achill at matrix dot gatewaynet dot com       mantzios at softlab dot ece dot ntua dot gr