Re: Testing castability of text to numeric - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Achilleus Mantzios
Subject Re: Testing castability of text to numeric
Date
List pgsql-sql
On Fri, 16 May 2003, Christoph Haller wrote:

> > I am trying to create a function that will test if a given text value
> > may safely be cast to numeric, returning the numeric cast or null if
> > impossible.

I think that progress is being made on
having java as a serverside language
(i.e. plpgjava).
Stored procedures in java would be really handy in order
to do staff like that, java is known for its
"exceptional" exception handling!

What language do you use to bould your applications??

> > Is there a way to "catch" the "ERROR:  Bad numeric input format"
> error?
> >
> > I ask that rather than about what the numeric format is for
> regex-style
> > testing because if this works I may want to use a similar method to
> > check if a given text value casts safely to other types, like date.
> >
> I don't know of any way to catch errors.
> And I can't see any way how to test castability via regex. Can you?
> The only way I can think of at the moment is writing a C function.
>
> Regards, Christoph

> TIP 4: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Achilleus Mantzios
S/W Engineer