Re: unable to dump database, toast errors - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Lonni J Friedman
Subject Re: unable to dump database, toast errors
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Tom Lane wrote:
> Lonni J Friedman <lfriedman@vasoftware.com> writes:
> > so i tried:
> >     insert into pg_toast_302323 values (7685119, 1, '');
> > but that fails:
> > ERROR:  You can't change toast relation pg_toast_302323
>
> Ooops, I was thinking that you could bypass that check as superuser,
> but evidently not.
>
> You're probably going to have to do this the hard way: figure out by
> elimination which field(s) of which row(s) reference the broken toast
> entries, and reset those fields to null (or some valid value, anyway).

Do you mean the fields/rows in pg_toast_302323 or artifact_file ?  How
would i determine which ones reference broken toast entries?  Sorry if
this is obvious.

> It disturbs me quite a bit that the problem seems to be moving around.
> That suggests you've got ongoing corruption.  Might be a good idea to
> run disk and memory diagnostics to find out if there are hardware
> problems.

yea, this occured to me as well.  the DB in question is actually running
on a customer's server, so i'd have to convince them to run a manual fsck.

I want to make it clear that i greatly appreciate your help on this.  i
also work with Oracle databases, and pay for a support contract with
Oracle, and they have never been as helpful, curteous or prompt in their
replies as you have.

-Lonni