Re: Demo versions - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Demo versions
Date
List pgsql-general
El Jun 6, Bill Moran escribio:

> Tyler Mitchell wrote:
> > Hello, anyone got any really simple postgresql demo cd's available?  I'm
> > thinking of something that could run off of a CD to provide an easy-to-use
> > method for demonstrating the power of pgsql.
>
> Some folks from Brazil did an excellent job of creating a set of scripts that
> can be used to make a bootable FreeBSD CD.  You can go through the first few
> steps, then chroot to the staging directory and install Postgre (and whatever
> other software you want) and adjust startup scripts or create demo databases
> to your heart's content.  Then complete the process and actually burn the CD.
> The only problem I can see, is how would you make a read/write database that
> ran off a CD? Unless you made a huge mfs to put the Postgre data on.
> Anywhoo, the scripts can be d/l here:
> http://ftp.unicamp.br/pub/FreeBSD-LiveCD/

I remember a guy maybe one year ago that was trying to do exactly this.
He was able to install everything and get it working from the CD, but in
the moment he executed some sentence that modified the database (i.e.
anything not a SELECT, I suppose) everything would just stop working.

He posted a patch that allowed modifying operations to just fail and not
take the system down, but I don't know if it made through.

"Use it up, wear it out, make it do, or do without"