Re: Making the regression tests locale-proof - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Making the regression tests locale-proof
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane escribió:

> > The assumption here is that all locales will choose the same sort order as
> > long as they're dealing only with the core 26 letters.
>
> Nope.  For instance, on HPUX I get this sort order in English:
[...]

> because the Spanish treat LL as a single collating element.  (Actually,
> my very-rusty recollection is that they sort LL the same as one L, which
> would mean that HPUX's behavior is not quite right here: it's treating
> LL as one symbol that sorts after L.  Linux seems to have no clue that
> LL is special at all though...)

HPUX's behaviour is broken, because in spanish LL (as well as CH)
stopped being a special symbol some five years ago (it used to be
treated as one collating element sorted after "L", so HPUX behaviour was
right then).

> > We could also cut down the number of affected tests by making the
> > select_implicit and select_having not use mixed-case strings in the test
> > tables.  Then we have only char, varchar, and select_views left.

Maybe it would be better to prepare various results, one for each of a
subset of the locales supported (C, en_EN, some other "western" and
maybe a couple multibyte?). That way at least you make sure the C
library is working as expected.

"No deja de ser humillante para una persona de ingenio saber
que no hay tonto que no le pueda enseñar algo." (Jean B. Say)