Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: AW: More UB-Tree patent information] - Mailing list pgsql-general

From postgresql@fruru.com
Subject Re: [HACKERS] [Fwd: AW: More UB-Tree patent information]
Date
List pgsql-general
Hannu Krosing wrote:

> Have you found out _what_ exaclty is patented ?
>
> Is it just his concrete implementation of "UB-Tree" or something
> broader, like using one multi-dimensional index instead of multiple
> one-dimensional ones ?

(I know it is OT, please reply in private, I can summarize any reactions
to the list ...)

Patents are supposed to be only applicable to an industrial application
(with external side-effects).  So ideas in themselves are not patentable.

Anyway, this is once more a good example of the danger of software patents
- you know what to reply when people say "software patents promote
innovation"

IANAL, just my 0,02 Euro.

see also : http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/savingeurope.html (also
interesting for non-europeans, of course !)

--
Tycho Fruru            tycho.fruru@conostix.com
"Prediction is extremely difficult. Especially about the future."