Re: SQL Server performing much better?!?! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Holger Marzen
Subject Re: SQL Server performing much better?!?!
Date
List pgsql-general
On 25 Mar 2002, Mark kirkwood wrote:

> Agreed...I currently work with Solaris and its generally quite good...
> but there seems to be a definite performance problem with Postgresql on
> Solaris (see a previous thread with title "Solaris Performance").

Solaris is slow when writing to ufs filesystem in default configuration.
I guess that postgresql writes out temporary data. The writes can
probably be speed up when writing to tempfs or by disabling the journal.

Writing data can probably speed up with the mount option "nologging".
Reading data can probably speed up with the mount option "noatime".

Can someone try this?

--
PGP/GPG Key-ID:
http://blackhole.pca.dfn.de:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xB5A1AFE1