Re: Large Object Location in 7.3 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Emberson
Subject Re: Large Object Location in 7.3
Date
List pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Richard Emberson wrote:
> >
> > I expect (actually hope) to have thousands and thousands of blob/clobs
> > in the db I am designing.
> > I would like such largeobjects to be stored in their own file system.
> > Someone had said that there
> > might be support for "tablespaces/locations" in 7.3. Is there a
> > description somewhere of this work
> > or a "spec"?
>
> Sure, find the oid of pg_largeobject and symlink that to another file
> system.  You need to do that toast table and any indexes for the table
> too.

Can this be done within a PL/pgsql function or does one have to stop the
database (everytime a
user enters a new blob) and do it by hand or external script?

Also, this involves copying the blob (largeobject file) to the other file
system which means that
that the file was first created and written, and then had to be copied.
Twice the work. Is there a way
so that it only has to be written once?