limiting a select - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Chris Thompson
Subject limiting a select
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi,
I am using the following query

    $query  = "SELECT id, title, type, SUBSTRING(description FOR $description_size) as description, ";
    $query .= "date, display_date ";
    $query .= "FROM events WHERE active='t' ";
    $query .= "ORDER BY date ASC;";

I was wondering if someone could give me a hint on how to alter this to
only return 9 results, of which there will, if available, be up to 3 of
each 'type' of event.

There are 3 possible values for the type column (text) in the db.

Any pointers appreciated,
Chris

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Any
offers or quotation of service are subject to formal specification.
Errors and omissions excepted.  Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of edNET or lightershade ltd. Finally, the
viruses.  edNET and lightershade ltd accepts no liability for any damage

Virus scanned by edNET.