Re: More Red Hat information - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: More Red Hat information
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 wsheldah@lexmark.com wrote:

> I agree.  How is a person supposed to count the number of users if the database
> is being used to support a public dynamic web site?  Is the company supposed to
> buy a separate license for every unique IP address that ever hits a dynamic web
> page on the site?  I can see licensing per server, or even per CPU, but
> licensing any server application per user quickly becomes ridiculous when the
> server is supporting any internet application.

Don't misunderstand.  Per-user licenses are for *simultaneous*
connections.  Usually, 100 users is enough, and can be greatly offset by
proper use of caching.

I'm wondering if that's why Oracle changed their pricing structure to be
based on machine strength.  That way, they can charge for the peak
abilities of the machine the DB is running on.  Since I know I like to
make my DB server overly powerful for scalability, this seems like
extortion.  But they have a point.  A machine that is more powerful can
more capably serve more connections - and they want you to pay for it.

Either way, it's not really a mystery.  Just send the vendor a request for
an estimate based on your needs - and make sure to ask for an explanation.

--
| Shaun M. Thomas                INN Database Programmer              |